Re: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly

To: RayAntoky@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly
From: francois wildi <fwildi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:53:13 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ray,
It seems to mee with the car on jacks you should be in good shape.
You might want to disconnect the drop arm from the tie rod so that
you can push back the worm to where it needs to be. Now with what
happened, you probably did check (and replace ?) also the rear thrust
bearing on the seeting box did you not?
What happened, it seems it that when you started tightening the nuts
on the front plate, the ball did not sit correctly on the races and
did not self-center when you tightened hard. You should be able to do
the complete aeemble by hand and only use your spanner at the last
minute.

What might have happened IN ADDITION to what you have already
noticed, is that you have warpped the front plate and it will not sit
oil-tight anymore. I guess you could have it lapped if you need to.

When you re-assemble, be super-clean and use a smear of hylomar on
all shims and the cover. These darn boxes tend to leak. I had to go
with an extra round of hylomar on the 4 bolts until the leaks stopped
when I re-did my box early this year. Do not forget to put extra
shims 1st and worked down to reduce the end-play.

A complete procedure can be found in my website at:

http://athene.as.arizona.edu/~fwildi/cars/tech_talk/steering_frame.htm

Dr. Francois Wildi, PhD
homepage: http://athene.as.arizona.edu/~fwildi/cars

>>Doctors:
>>With the car on jackstands and the apron and wheels off (had the
>>radiator ....
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com