Re: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Steering Box End Cover and Reassembly
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 23:36:37 EDT
In a message dated 8/18/02 8:35:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> > As I am tightening the four bolts that hold the end cover in place I hear
> > something. I continue tightening not realizing what may have happened. I
> > decide to take off the plate and lo and behold the race and bearings are
> > cracked and broken. ( I quickly decide to order the new parts from Moss
> > including a new felt bushing which was not there and some extra
> > shims just in
> > case, although if I could reinstall it the way it was I should
> > not need more
> > shims).
> > The big question finally is WHERE DID I GO WRONG???
>
> My guess would be that one (or both) of the ball carriers slipped out of
> place.

Take the cover off to get at the uppermost bearing (ball carrier)? Number 12
in the catalogue page? (below)

>    BTW, the top plate adjustment should be backed off (or the plate
>
> removed) when trying to replace the end plate or measure end play.

  Sounds good. Could you explain why?

> What felt bushing ?

Between the shaft and the wheel. No. 9 in the Moss catalogue page below.
<A
HREF="http://mossmotors.com/cgi-bin/db2www/mossmotors/MossUSA/shop/ViewProducts.mac/report?&PlateID=2611&T=73562";>Moss
 Motors</A>  Even tho it says for rigid column I've seen other places where
they use  it with the split column too, <A
HREF="http://mossmotors.com/cgi-bin/db2www/mossmotors/MossUSA/shop/ViewProducts.mac/report?&PlateID=2611&T=73562";>
 </A>  e.g. TRF catalogue.

> Randall

Thanks.. Ray