RE:TR4A Heater Valve

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:TR4A Heater Valve
From: "Evans, Mark" <Mark.Evans@anheuser-busch.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 10:36:27 -0500
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Here's what I did.

Replacing the heater valve with an ordinary 3/8" NPT square head plumbing plug
worked fine. I removed the pipe and tried a 1/2" NPT plug on the fitting coming
out of the water pump housing. It was too big. I'm guessing it is 7/16".
Hardware stores, auto parts stores & home improvement stores don't have this
size. Since I didn't want to wait to drive yesterday, I cut the pipe about 4
inches downstream of the water pump housing and (as Randall suggested) used a
bolt clamped on the smooth part to make a plug. The other end of the pipe was
rusted badly where the hose to the heater core attaches so I don't feel bad
about destroying an original part. I will try to order the plug used on cars
where the heater was an option. Does anyone know the part number? Vicky Brit is
the only catalog that shows it but I don't want to order a $1.27 part from them.

Car ran great with no leaks - it also got a new battery!

Mark A. Evans

1966 TR4A IRS CTC63970 LO 'Tressy'
Acworth, Georgia - USA
mevans1@pigseye.kennesaw.edu