Loss of Oil Pressure

To: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Loss of Oil Pressure
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 21:20:48 -0400
Message text written by Hugh Fader
>I had a significant loss of oil pressure on my TR6 today. People may
recall
the engine was rebuilt over the winter. It now has about 3000 miles on it.

OK, here's what happened. I have been trying to determine the cause of my
idle speed drifting around. Thought it might be related to the crankcase
breather so I removed the hose and plugged it, and just let the valve cover
vent to atmosphere.

<snip>

When home, I let the car cool for about 45 minutes and restarted it. Oil
pressure was still low. So, I drained the oil, removed the filter, and
removed the pressure relief valve. I saw nothing unusual like metal
shavings
in the oil. So I replaced the oil, filter and relief valve and took it for
ride. Now the oil pressure is back up to normal.

<snip>

I don't think removing the breather could have done this and it's probably
coincidence.

<snip>

Well, let's see, you replaced the oil and filter and it's back to normal.
Did you check the oil you drained out?  does it smell strongly of gasoline?
 One possibility to consider is that without the crankcase vent hooked up
your oil got contaminated with gasoline over time which was not purged out
by the now disconnected vent system.

Another possibility is that your carb float valve hing open with a full
tank of gas and gasoline seeped past the valve, through the carburettor
jet, into the cylinders, past the rings and into the crankcase.  The fuel
in the tank, when full, has a higher level than the carbs and this could
happen.

Cheers

Dave