Loss of Oil Pressure

Subject: Loss of Oil Pressure
From: Hugh Fader <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 14:34:12 -0400
I had a significant loss of oil pressure on my TR6 today. People may recall
the engine was rebuilt over the winter. It now has about 3000 miles on it.

OK, here's what happened. I have been trying to determine the cause of my
idle speed drifting around. Thought it might be related to the crankcase
breather so I removed the hose and plugged it, and just let the valve cover
vent to atmosphere.

I went for about a 5 mile ride and while turning around, noticed the oil
pressure was at about 10 PSI at idle. It's usually 30-40 PSI at idle and 50
to 60 at 2000 RPM. Pulled over and checked the oil. It was at the bottom
line on the dipstick. No unusual noises or smoke and water temp was OK, so I
decided to drive it home.

When home, I let the car cool for about 45 minutes and restarted it. Oil
pressure was still low. So, I drained the oil, removed the filter, and
removed the pressure relief valve. I saw nothing unusual like metal shavings
in the oil. So I replaced the oil, filter and relief valve and took it for a
ride. Now the oil pressure is back up to normal.

I don't *think* there are any unusual sounds. But now I'm listening closely
and can't tell if I'm hearing the usual clatter of the engine or something
wrong or just being paranoid.

I don't think removing the breather could have done this and it's probably a
coincidence.

Anybody have tips on what I should do next? Just thinking about where oil
flows, main bearings, rod bearings, oil pump failure, rocker shaft are all
suspects. Also, I was using a FRAM PH3600 oil filter switched to a Pure One.

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6