TR6 stripped bolt hole in Front sealing block

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 stripped bolt hole in Front sealing block
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 05:13:01 -0700 (PDT)
Okay . . . so I'm guessing I'm not the first person out there to have a
stripped bolt hole in the front sealing block on their engine.

(TR6 in this case)

What are anyone's experiences with attempting to fix it?

I'm really looking for a short term  . .quickish fix.
The engine is going to have to come out of that car in the near future for all
sorts of other work . . so I can do a proper repair then.

In the mean time . .until I get some other mode of transportation (fix the TR4)
I need my TR-6 commuter back in action.

I thought about helicoiling it . .but the frame's cross member is too close to
allow a drill to be lined up with it.  (unless I come up with some sort of 8"
Extension for the drill bit)

Thanks for the advice. . . and if I could make a request:  Please no lessons on
not overtorquing pan bolts.  Especially ones that go in to aluminum.  I don't
really need my nose rubbed in it.

Why is that stupid sealing block made of aluminum anyway?

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 -not on the road today-
Leesburg, VA
HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs