Re: TR6 stripped bolt hole in Front sealing block

To: ms6453@optonline.net, sdtilton@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: TR6 stripped bolt hole in Front sealing block
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:15:17 EDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I'm not sure what you mean by a sealing block as I am not familiar with TR
motors.  I have however built many other motors and can offer a temporary
fix. ( I had worked as a auto mechanic for nearly 20 years and had my own
shop for 10)

>From what I gather, a oil pan flange bolt striped out.  The bolt spacing for
such a part is usually 2 to 3 inches so losing one bolt won't cause much of a
problem at the ones on either side can compress the gasket and keep most of
the oil in the pan.

The temp fix:  With the pan bolted to the engine, clean the outside of the
pan flange and the block side of the mating surface.  Lacquer thinner works
wonders.  Use a bead of RTV ( silicone sealer) around the edge to seal the
pan to the block.  If the striped bolt goes into oil, plug the hole with RTV
and wipe some on the pan hole.

When building my Formula Ford motors, a bead of RTV around the outside of the
pan assures no oil leaks.  This is much better than applying the sealer to
the gaskets as clean up is much quicker, just take a razor blade and cut the
RTV.  In a emergency the pan gasket can be reused as it will come off of the
block cleanly.  A dry gasket has a less likely chance of skidding and
crushing out since there isn't any sealer to provide lubrication.

Harold