Re: Overheated TR6... CRUNCH! GRIND! Sadness.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheated TR6... CRUNCH! GRIND! Sadness.
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:18:31 +0100
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, at around 08:11:25 local time, Ian Clough
<mc_ian@yahoo.com> wrote:
>NoooooooO!
>
>The recent heat wave we're experiencing here in Ottawa
>has claimed another victim - my TR6. Sadness.

Deepest sympathy.

>Driving home yesterday in 35 degre weather (I much
>prefer when it's -35), I was at a red light and I
>could smell something burning and thought "heh-heh,
>some poor sucker's car is overheating".  Almost that
>same instance I saw steam coming from under my hood!
>"Nooooooo! Why me Lord?  Why ME??"  Luckilly I was
>almost home, so I took it really easy.  I kept a close
>eye on the oil pressure, but the temp gauge was off
>the scale.  Then it got worse, as I was turning onto
>my street, as the revs were going doing to almost idle
>I heard the distinct noise of grinding/breaking metal.

Without wishing to add to your misery, this is too good an opportunity
for me to miss pointing out a lesson which I learned the hard way: if
you've got an over-heating problem, stop the car immediately and turn
off the engine.   Failure to follow this simple rule cost me the best
part of a thousand dollars in repairs that wouldn't otherwise have been
necessary.   I sincerely hope that the same thing doesn't happen to you.

Best of luck.

ATB

--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671