Re: bleeding oil

To: CarlSereda@aol.com
Subject: Re: bleeding oil
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:05:36 -0600
Cc: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
CarlSereda@aol.com wrote:

> I think someone mentioned a couple years ago (maybe Randall) that you don't
> need to bleed that oil guage pressure line. And I'm curious what you just
> bought? the plastic type? Or original copper tubing like on my late TR4
> CT22326L? I've never had a problem with leaks although 20 odd years ago I too
> thought I should bleed it and had oil squirting all over behind my dash when
> I started the motor...oops.

I didn't turn up Randall's post when I searched the archives. <g>

According to the Moss TR4 catalog (2002 Issue 1) which came with my hose, I
bought the short (8"-ish) braided-metal, flexible "hose, oil pressure" (#70,
376-160) that connects, on the block end, to the "oil pipe" (#66, 836-570)
running from the filter head, and on the body end to the "pipe, oil pressure to
gauge" (#71, 376-170) running up past the brake m/c and through the f/w to the
gauge. I only replaced the short flexible hose which runs over the top of the
fuel pump, leaving the metal pipes on either side in place.

I did NOT get the nylon pipe which apparently would run directly from #66 to the
gauge -- and which they list for late TR4 and 4A's without commission numbers
though so I can't guess if that's right for your late TR4. Your tubing isn't
copper all the way from the filter head to the gauge, is it? Doesn't there need
to be some flexing somewhere?

BTW the hose sprung a leak about 1" from the block end, at the tightest point in
it's bend and coinicidentally right at a yellow rubber/plastic band which may be
the manufacturer's identification -- it says "Smiths Petro - Fle(x?) REGD". I
cranked the car to bring up oil pressure, got no reading, then remembered to
replace the oil I'd drained, and the gauge came right up to it's normal reading.
It did seem to quiver a bit more than usual yesterday, but it could have been
the
air in the line or all the shivering in the car after I took the boys out to
dinner and a cold front came through while we ate.

--
Steven Newell
Littleton, CO