stuck heater valve TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: stuck heater valve TR6
From: "John Takach" <takachj@cogeco.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 10:13:03 -0400
Yes, the TRF has always been A1 on service, no question about that.

As to the valve , don't be surprised if you have further difficulties down the
line.  I have had the same problem you described and finally had to replace it
even though it was brand new (I had purchased it a couple of years before
probably from TRF but couldn't be sure).  Like a number of re manufactured
parts the quality of the newer is not up to scratch as compared with the
original.
I am not sure where these valves are now made but you can tell the newer from
those made years ago by numbers stamped on the top of the older ones (no
numbers on the newer batch).  I lucked into what I deemed to be an original
old stock a couple of years ago and it has outlasted a couple of the so called
newer ones.  Even the older ones would give out after a period of time and
something would happen inside causing them to spew water all over the place
when in the open position thereby requiring replacement.  I have been meaning
to take an old one apart to see if it somehow rebuildable but have never got
around to it.

John Takach
Burlington, Ontario
93 Jag VDP
75 TR6 (under restoration)
74 TR6 (engine on last legs before rebuilding)