30 mile report

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 30 mile report
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:10:36 -0700
OK, it's not much of a mile stone, but it's all I've been able to get in so
far.  Last week I got the bonnet and transmission cover installed, made
driving a bit cooler and quieter.  So far the only oil leak seems to be from
the back of my oil pressure gauge, I guess it's just self-bleeding :-).
Hopefully I can just tighten up the connector a bit.  I'm not going to
reinstall any more carpet, because I've decided to go back to a black
interior this fall/winter (a side note, if any one is interested in a
brown/tan interior, contact me).

The only concern at the moment is that it seems to be running hot.  Any time
at all not moving seems to send the temperature upward, though it hasn't
gone more that 3/4 of the way up.  Driving to work this morning (around 60
degrees), the temp stayed on the lower tick of the "bracket" around the
center (70 C).  One the way home (around 90), it was just a hair above 70 C
while I was on the freeway, but went right up to 3/4 once I got on surface
streets.

For the record, I have the shroud installed, electric fan that seems to come
on at a reasonable place (as the temp is hitting the upper limit of the
bracket), about 25-30% anti-freeze, water wetter, the rest distilled water,
radiator was re-cored about 10 years ago and I think in good shape.  I'm
running the "repro" sleeved thermostat from Moss, high-capacity water pump
from BFE.  I did check the fan belt (is it still a fan belt if it doesn't
drive a fan?) and it might have been a little loose.  The radiator cap seems
to be OK (it vents and recovers fluid), but I may try a new one anyway.  I'm
running with the heater valve open.  Any other ideas on what I might check?
The shop manual lists "engine not run-in" as possible cause of overheating,
and I'm sure mine isn't yet run-in, but would that explain it?

Thanks,
Darrell

--
Darrell Walker