Dying Engine Solved (A lesson in details)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dying Engine Solved (A lesson in details)
From: <skip@shervington.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:12:19 -0700 (MST)
Being new to the list (a month) I have been busy saving all your wisdom
filled emails into a folder for future use.  (I think I could print a book
with just the emails from Randall Young!)  Anyway, I thought I'd share my
experience in case someone else encounters the same problem.

On my first long trip last week that was to my first Triumph Travelers
Sports Car Club Meeting (100 miles round trip), I experienced a sputtering
or dying out of the engine which wasn't too bad, but it got progressively
worse this past weekend.  I was thinking fuel problems so I cleaned out the
fuel filter & screen, ran a bottle of Techron fuel carb cleaner and it was
still intermittant, until on the last test drive around the block it died
again and when I went to start it up again...nothing.  Not even a clicking
noise, hummmm...then as I stared at the instrument panel and started to
finger tighten the ignition switch (which, I had been meaning to REALLY
tighten with a tool at some point) it dawned on me...push the starter
button and jiggle the ignition switch...VROOOM!  Two of the contacts were
slightly bent towards each other and obviously arcing.  It's the little
things that sometimes cause the most aggrivation and a lesson learned in
paying attention to detail.

Skip Shervington
'58 TR3A TS34885L
Santa Cruz, CA