RE: TR2 Brake union woes

To: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR2 Brake union woes
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 09:56:31 -0700
John Gillis wrote :
> I connected up the pedals, took that unusual plate to allow me access
> to the rear of the cylinder off (all side screen people know the one
> I'm talking about).

That must be a drum brake thing.  With the front disc masters, everything is
accessible from the front, and I'll bet many people don't even notice the
plate comes off. (I didn't for a long time.)

> How crucial is the contact of the flare on the pipe with the
> exit point of the fluid in the master cylinder or wherever the pipe
> connects ?

Unfortunately, it's most crucial.  The concave flare at the end of the pipe
is the only sealing surface, the union (or reverse flare nut as it would be
called on this side of the pond) does not seal to either the
cylinder/fitting or the pipe.  It only provides pressure to force the pipe
against the cone inside the fitting.

As I may have mentioned, it's important to be sure you've got the right
nuts.  There are commonly available (at least in the US) nuts that have the
right thread, and appear to screw into the fitting, but lack the unthreaded
portion at the nose.  They will not seal (and I've heard of people breaking
wheel cylinders trying to tighten them enough to make them seal).

Randall