RE: TR3 Generator Problems

To: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Generator Problems
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 04:52:17 -0700
>      So I did a quick check to see if maybe the warning light wires were
> bad. I took a jumper from the generator warning light terminal and took it
> to the middle terminal on the regulator. No change.

Um, what warning light terminal ?  The warning light should already be wired
to the center terminal on the regulator (which also goes to the output
terminal on the generator).  The warning light compares the generator output
voltage to the voltage in the switched ignition circuit.

>      I remembered doing a test on the generator early on (10 years ago)
> where we started the car and took off the battery cable and the car stayed
> running because the generator was generating but the warning light circuit
> was bad. This time, I lifted a cable and the engine died instantly.

Not a test I would recommend.

>      Maybe I tweaked the backplate on the generator and shorted something
> out inside.

Seems likely to me.

> The car was in the body shop
> for 2 weeks

That could also be the problem, body shop dust seems to get everywhere !

>      2. Can someone tell me another quick test to tell if it is the
> generator or regulator?

Remove control box cover, with engine running 1000-1500 rpm mash cutout
contact closed with your thumb.  'Ignition' light should go out.  If ammeter
shows charge, the generator may have simply lost it's 'polarization' and all
is now well.  If ammeter shows discharge, connect a jumper between the D and
F terminals on the control box.  If still discharging, problem is either
generator or wiring to it.  If ammeter shows no deflection, problem is
either the control box, or the wiring.  (You should complete these tests
fairly promptly, and momentarily disconnect a battery cable when you're
done.)

'Standard' on-car generator test (independent of control box) : Remove both
wires from generator, connect a jumper between generator terminals and a
voltmeter to ground.  Start engine and rev slowly to 1500 rpm while watching
voltmeter.  If voltmeter reaches 15v, generator is probably OK.  (Don't let
it exceed 20v.)

>      3. Can someone tell me where I should go from here?
>
>      4. Is it worth it to buy a rebuilt generator or should I rebuild my
> own?

IMO it's certainly worth pulling the generator (after doing the tests I
outlined above) and having a look inside.  The fault may be obvious.  If you
put any force at all on that rear mounting tab, the rear plate is likely
broken and will have to be replaced.

>      I remember watching a cartoon as a kid that was like on Bullwinkle or
> something. Some dumb character (a turtle or something) would get
> in trouble
> and shout "Help me Mister Wizard!" and then the wizard would say "Trizzle
> trazzle trezzle trome, time for this one to come home". And then
> the turtle
> would come spinning home and his problems would all be solved. Can't
> remember what the cartoon was called.

Something like Tooter Turtle.

Randall