TR3 Generator Problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR3 Generator Problems
From: "Bill Brewer" <bbrewer@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 21:56:45 -0700
     So a list friend pointed out that my generator was missing its rear
mounting bolt. So I get a bolt with a nyloc nut and washer and bolt it in.
There seemed to be about a 1/4 inch gap between the generator housing and
the bracket. Then I go to start the car and the red ignition light comes on!
So I take the bolt back out just to see if the light would go out, but now
it won't. Then I checked the wires to the generator. They actually looked
pretty old and cracked, so I soldered in some new wires and end fittings.
The light is still on.
     So I did a quick check to see if maybe the warning light wires were
bad. I took a jumper from the generator warning light terminal and took it
to the middle terminal on the regulator. No change.
     I remembered doing a test on the generator early on (10 years ago)
where we started the car and took off the battery cable and the car stayed
running because the generator was generating but the warning light circuit
was bad. This time, I lifted a cable and the engine died instantly.
     A friend gave the regulator a good wrap with his knuckles thing that
the regulator might be stuck. No change.
     Maybe I tweaked the backplate on the generator and shorted something
out inside.
     It is spinning the generator and engine fan.
     One lousy bolt!
     I was smug because the generator hadn't given me any problems in 10
years of driving a car that had set dead for 10 years before that.
     My life is a blur right now with work and upcoming backpacking trips up
Mt Whitney and Half Dome in Yosemite. I really should read the manual, but
just can't deal with it right now. The car was in the body shop for 2 weeks
(and undrive-able for two weeks before that) and I just want to drive and
enjoy my car.

     1. Can someone tell me what probably happened when I tightened up the
bolt?

     2. Can someone tell me another quick test to tell if it is the
generator or regulator?

     3. Can someone tell me where I should go from here?

     4. Is it worth it to buy a rebuilt generator or should I rebuild my
own?

     5. I don't want to go to negative ground and an alternator.

     I remember watching a cartoon as a kid that was like on Bullwinkle or
something. Some dumb character (a turtle or something) would get in trouble
and shout "Help me Mister Wizard!" and then the wizard would say "Trizzle
trazzle trezzle trome, time for this one to come home". And then the turtle
would come spinning home and his problems would all be solved. Can't
remember what the cartoon was called.
     Help me Mister Wizard!
     TIA

     Bill Brewer