Re: TR4 Frame Question

To: <BPAULTR3@aol.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Frame Question
From: "Brad Kahler" <brad.kahler@141.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 05:00:02 -0600
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob,

Being the owner of a very earlyl TR4 CT288, I can vouch for the fact that the
early frames were actually TR3A frames modified to TR4 specs.  Some things to
look for to verify this are, the little mounting tabs on rear frame rails where
on the TR3A the rear fender support strap bolts to the frame.  Another would be
the front frame rails.  On the early TR4s the frame was widened 1.5" by the
welding tubing onto the sides of the front frame rails thus making the frame 3"
wider.  Also look for the frame id tag that is mounted on the front cross
member.  Mine had two tags, one welded on top of the other.  My guess here is
they welded the TR4 id tag right on top of the original TR3A frame id tag.

There are a few other differences as well but I can't think of them off the top
of my head.

I would suspect that any early TR4 (say the first 6000 or so) should be
possible donors for the part you're looking for.

As for a possible commercial source I would check with RevingtonTR in England.
They have a good stock of odd parts like this, who knows, you just might get
lucky there!

Good luck!

Brad