Stuck in the garage

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stuck in the garage
From: The Juice of One Lemon <sdaniels@gorge.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2002 11:37:39 -0700
There is no brake fluif in my master cylinder.  Which is easy to
fix, except I have yet to determine where the old fluif went.  Of
course, I haven't looked yet.  I'm seriously considering the four
piston Toyota caliper conversion, and a complete rebuild of the
rest of the system.

The fan on the alternator was striking the body and making a
horrible racket.  I took the whole unit off and spun it by hand,
and you could hear the bearings grinding.  I bought a rebuilt
unit from VB, and am very disappointed.  The threads on the
shaft, onto which the big nut screws to hold the fan and pulley,
has seriously messed up threads.  The rebuilder should have
either rejected the shaft, or run a die over the threads to clean
them up.  I was going to do that myself, but then I figured that
I shouldn't have to repair a part I just spent $120 bucks on.
I'm going to send it back and get one from TRF.

And . . .

I just noticed a steady drip of fuel from the front carburetor.
I doubt that they have been touched since they were screwed onto
the manifold twenty-nine years ago, so it looks like a rebuild is
in order there, as well.  The engine runs just fine, but it makes
the garage stink like gasoline and it can't be safe.

So this afternoon, I'll be taking off the wheels and putting it
up on jack stands to check out the brakes.  I've been having
dangerous thoughts, like, "Take the whole car apart and rebuild
it from the frame up."

Get thee behind me, Satan.