good TR4 window winders are rare

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: good TR4 window winders are rare
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 01:29:56 EDT
Scott,
the glass can come out the top - the bottom attached brace is not super thick
so you may not need to remove seals at top of door. Not sure why you want to
remove glass - unless you are restoring channels etc., etc.
I don't think TR6 window winder mechanisms work for TR4 (as you say Moss
would sell them) When I went to replace mine couple years ago there was a
local Calif shop who would sell a 'NOS' driver side one for $100! Another
shop in Oregon wanted $35 'used' sight unseen.. These are a bit on the rare
side - I got lucky with one from my spare passenger door and then found a
driver winder in the junk yard for $15. They were in good shape but gummed
up. Typically the driver door side is much worse for wear. I was ready to
submit to the tedious job of either welding up the worn teeth and grinding
them to match good ones (wear is very localized on the fan gear) or cutting a
portion of a good fan gear from TR6 core to cut and weld into my own fan
gear. The drive gear doesn't seem to wear as much as the fan gear.
I would be leary of buying sight unseen unless new old stock. May have to
make the big trip to the closest Brit yard.
Good luck with them.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74
---------------------
I decided to remove the seriously screwed up window regulator in the door of
my
TR4 tonight.
I mananged to remove the clips hold the glass and its metal holder to the
brutal attempts.
I loosened all the nuts and got the regulator out.
How do I get the glass out?
Will it come out the top slot if I remove the inner and outer trim pieces?
Or do I have to take the glass out of the metal channel that holds it?
Lastly . . . will a TR-6 window mechanism work in a TR4 door.
Somehow I doubt it.  Otherwise the Moss catalog would list it.
Can I repair a TR-4 window mechanism with parts from a TR6  one?
Thanks
Scott Tilton