Tire size comparison on TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tire size comparison on TR6
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:08:12 -0400
Hello All,

Don't really want to start a thread again about tire sizes but did do a
little comparison last night while the tires were off.  As this comes up
fairly regularly I figured I'd forward the info.

1st dimension is:       BFG Touring T/A SR4, 215-70R15, Tubeless
2nd dimension is: Michelin Redline, 185-15 X, Tube type

Both tires are mounted on factory steel wheels and inflated to 28 pounds.
 The redline looks brand new (nubbies still present all over) so I'm
guessing it has very few miles on it.  The BFG tire has about 2000 miles
of wear, none of which is noticeable.

- Tread depth: 5/16" vs 7/32"

These measurements taken with tires laying on their back side on a
concrete floor and a long level laying across the front side of the
tire.
- Width 8.0"  vs. 7.5"
- Back offset from floor to wheel center        4.5" vs. 4.25"
- Front offset from level to wheel center       3.5" vs. 3.25"

This measurement was taken with tires laying on their tread against a
wall and a level placed from the tread to the wall.
- Height        26 5/8" vs. 26 9/16"

This measurement taken with a piece of non-stretch vinyl cord wrapped
around the center of the tread.
- Circumference:        84 5/8" vs. 84 3/8"

Good luck,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
Secretary, "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1973 TR6 driver, 1971 TR6 project
1989 Mustang GT someday morphing into a Factory Five '65 Roadster