Bendix AM/FM car radio questions

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bendix AM/FM car radio questions
From: Herald948@aol.com
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:40:09 -0400
Cc: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Introduction: Back in '62, AM radio was it, pretty much. But forty years later,
there just ain't much left on the AM band, especially in the way of music. Not
that I always listen to the radio whilst motoring, but sometimes it is helpful
on longer journeys.

I have a dealer-installed (actually the dealer installed it in my first Herald
way back when) Bendix AM "Triumph" radio in my "new" Herald. But I also have a
very similar unit, albeit with "VOLVO" on the face and both AM and FM bands.
What I'm wondering is if the polarity on these radios can be reversed by
someone competent in electronics. This one does not appear to have the
"switchable polarity" feature that some earlier models did. Yes, I know I can
simply reverse the battery connections, repolarize the generator, etc., but I'm
a traditionalist. :-)

Coolest thing about this particular AM/FM radio? It still has the original
front/rear speaker fader control with knob that matches those on the radio
itself, not to mention the fact that I also have at least one extra original
Triumph dealer accessory radio speaker in the black-crackle-finish housing.
(Boy, talk about low-fidelity sound!)

So, can I switch the radio, or do I switch the charging system?

--Andy Mace

p.s. There just doesn't seem to be quite enough room under the dash for the RCA
8-track tape player...too bad....