Re: Piston/ring orientation Thrust side

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Piston/ring orientation Thrust side
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 23:10:13 +0100
Hi Folks
the best way to find the thrust side of a piston is to rotate teh crank in
the direction of rotation until no 1 piston drops down the bore half way,
then look at the con rod, the thrust side of the piston is the side being
"pointed" to by a line through the con rod out of the wrist pin (little end)
to the bore surface. Hope this makes sense! The reason it is the thrust side
is because the downwards force of combustion trying to turn the crank, it is
pushing on the con rod at an angle to the bore not straight down the bore,
it is this angle that causes one side of the piston to rub down the bore and
the other not to touch.

Graham.