RE: Ignition Advance!

To: "Graham McMicken" <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition Advance!
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:33:39 -0700
> Now, I need to know how to fix this, I have a TR6 with a Lucas #41219D
> Distributor. I was wondering if there is a way to check the advance?

Best check on the car is to hook up a timing light and watch the mark move
as you rev the engine.

One simple check you can make, pull the cap and verify that you can turn the
rotor by hand in the advance direction.  If it won't move, the point cam may
be seized to the shaft.  You can also pull the point plate out and examine
the mechanism.  The plate comes out pretty easy as a unit, although you'll
probably want to readjust the point gap after you put it back in.

Randall