RE: Ignition Timing

To: "Graham McMicken" <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>, "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Ignition Timing
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:34:15 -0700
> I Just subscribed to this mailing list.  I am having some bad
> problems with my TR6
> (1975).

Hi Graham, welcome to the list !

> The tachometer was not working, so I took off the distributor,
> and looked at
>  the gear, it was worn, so I got a new one. Put the distributor
> back on, and the Timing
> is WWWAAAYYY off. The engine can barely Idle, so. I have the
> Haynes Repair Manual,
> it tells me to re set the ignition timing, so I do that,
> Perfectly, to 10 degrees BTDC.
> Start up the engine, and it is still Horrible, cannot rev what so
> ever. I was thinking for
> a mement, then realized the book said something about setting the
> timing 180 degrees
>  off.

With the timing 180 degrees off, the engine will absolutely not run at all,
so this is not your problem.

> it also runs better when the number one
> spark plug is disconnected.

That suggests to me that you didn't get the plug wires all put back on the
right plugs.  Try double-checking the firing order, and then double-checking
that #1 is firing just before TDC.

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)