Re: Commission Number Screw-up

To: Austrheamgafun@arczip.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Commission Number Screw-up
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:30:42 -0400
In a message dated Wed, 19 Jun 2002 12:24:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Austrheamgafun@arczip.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've finally decided to have the title to my '59 TR3A transferred into my
> name, and noticed the title displays the engine number as the cars VIN number.
> i.e. the engine number matches the title, and the commission number does not.
> This car has never been broken apart and I know the engine is original to the
> car.  I would like to have the title corrected.  Does anyone happen to have
> any good idea's how to deal with this kinda thing?  I'm sure every State is
> different.  In Indiana, the first procedure to transferring a title from out
> of State (car is from Missouri) is to have a police officer run a check on the
> vehicle, and then have the numbers verified.  I'm afraid this is going to be a
> major road block once he notices the numbers don't match up with the
> Commission number tag on the firewall.......

Scott, it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you are also armed with a BMIHT
build certificate. Someone in the know in Indiana would have to know that
registration by engine number WAS a common practice back then. So long as you
still have that engine to show in a visual inspection or possibly in a pencil
rubbing of that and the commission number, I suspect you'll be ok.

Been there, done that, many years ago in New York....

--Andy Mace