RE: Lucas supply

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas supply
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 08:41:46 -0700 r cn.com>
> This has been riddling me for a while (forgive me for being
> naive), but it
> appears there's quite an abundance of "new" OEM Lucas branded
> parts out on
> the marketplace - what is the story with that.

The right to use the Lucas name has belonged to several companies, I believe
at the moment it belongs to TRW Automotive (although ISTR hearing they were
going to sell off their auto parts division as it has not done well in
recent years).

> Where is it made (UK, Czech, Taiwan), Who owns/operates the company, and
> why does it cost so much if in fact it is not NOS, but in, fact new?

TRW's headquarters are in the USA (not far from me), but they make parts all
over the world.  The brake hoses I got recently don't seem to have a country
of origin marked on the package, so presumably they were made in the US.

I believe the parts are expensive simply because they are, at this point,
very limited production specialty parts.  And since in most cases there are
perfectly good parts available under other names, the Lucas parts tend to be
carried only by specialty retailers who add a higher markup than AutoZone.

Randall