Tr3a switched circuit

To: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Subject: Tr3a switched circuit
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:19:21 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by David Templeton
>I am loking for a switched to hook the electric fan into so it turns off
when the engine shuts off. Is there such a circuit near th front of the
car?
The only one I can see is the solid green. Ideas?
<

Dave,  to avoid the risk of overloading one of the circuits, I would
suggest you invest in a relay.  Connect the power feed to the battery (or
starter solenoid) (with a fuse) and connect the coil power to a white wire
(at the coil for example).  The relay will energize any time the key is on
and power the fan (through the thermostat, if you have one) and shut off
the fan when the key is off.

Klick and Klack talked about an instance where someone wired a fan to the
coil power feed and when the key was switched off the engine would continue
to run for a few seconds.  This was caused by the fan motor becoming a
generator and generating power to the coil until is spun down.  The relay
will eliminate this.

Cheers

Dave