Uneven running on TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Uneven running on TR6
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 12:01:13 -0400
Hello list:

Last week I polled the list about my smelly, guzzling TR6. The concensus was
that she was running way too rich. So I equalized the needles and backed up
to more lean. Specifically, the needles were set level with the piston
bottoms and then richened 3/4 turn. Most of the fuel smell is gone.
Consumption also seems to be considerably improved. What smell remains is
probably oil leaking onto my exhaust pipes. Another seal job to be done
unfortunately...

However what makes me write is that the job is not completely done. Now I
hear a little light popping when deccelerating. Not much, but it's there.
More importantly, it seems that the car is quite uneven when running with
very light throttle at lower speed. It sounds like she's missing, but as
soon as a little more gas is applied she evens out and pulls very
strongly.It's actually quite difficult to drive evenly and slowly in
traffic. No ignition problems that for sure. Idle is not super/super, but I
have her idling at 1000 right now with a little rumbling, but no great
variation in speed at all.

So what have I got? unsynched carbs (haven't done that yet although I do
have a unisyn hidden somewhere)? Leaking bypass, compensators? Never touched
either of those; they're probably original. Any ideas anybody?

Mark Hooper
72 TR6