Re: Uneven running on TR6

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: Re: Uneven running on TR6
From: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:45:18 -0600
Mark,

Sounds like you might have a flooding problem.  I had the same symptoms:
light popping on deceleration, uneven running at lower speeds but it would
run fine at higher speeds.   It may be that at the higher speeds you're
pulling more air into your mixture and it's helping even things out but at
lower speeds your idle suffers from too much gas.  If you have some
contaminated fuel (varnish, rust, etc.) that could cause the fuel chamber
needles to foul and cause some flooding.  Feel the bottoms of the float
chambers...any gas?  If it's wet from the gasket down...you may have
flooding.  If it's ONLY wet at the bottom plug and NOT between the gaskets
and the plug then it could just be the o-rings on the plug.  If you think
you have flooding pull the bottom of the fuel chambers (6 screws on each)
off with the carbs still on the car and dump the contents into a white
bowl...see any black specs?  That could foul the needles.  I fought this
problem for a long long time.  You can try fuel filters between the fuel
pump and carbs but my ultimate solution was pulling/cleaning/lining the gas
tank.  No flooding problems since.

Be careful putting the fuel chambers back together.  Make sure the gasket
and float are in the proper position.

Good Luck

Bud Rolofson
71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost Parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)