Re: TR3A suspension mystery noise

To: mandrews53@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A suspension mystery noise
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:42:02 EDT
In a message dated 6/13/02 12:51:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mandrews53@earthlink.net writes:

>  have a TR2(same suspension) and went mad trying to track down a problem in
> the front end . After changing everything I could I had it all apart one
> day
> (springs out)I noticed that I could shake the lower A arm.When it was
> together there was no clue to looseness. I removed the lower inside nylon
> bushings ( they even looked new-installed by the DPPO) and ordered a new
> set
> from Moss--the new ones were EXACT duplicates of the ones I removed--the
> inside diameter was off by quite a bit-over a sixteeth of an inch. I
> resolved the misfit (Moss did not have a clue to the wrong size issue) by
> getting the bushings (Nylatron) from British Frame and Engine. That solved
> it. I couldn't check it with out taking the springs off the suspension.
> Happy sleuthing- Mike -TR2 in LA--go Lakers
>
> > Fellow Sleuths:
> >
> > Front end checks out ok. Alignment is fine. Had a shop tighten everything
> > that might have produced a knocking sound.  . The noise seems to come and
> go.
> > Went by my friend's shop for a test drive who said it sounds like the
> left
> > front shock. The car is quite stiff when you do the fender shake test. He
> > says maybe it could be a bushing? On the way home went over a violent
> bump
> > and lo and behold the noise vanished. At one point I thought it was the
> box
> > that the spring resides in and that it might be rubbing so i pried it
> away a
> > little. Anyway took it for a ride again , no noise till on the way home
> it
> > seemed to start again. What's the likelihood it has something to do with
> the
> > shock?
> > Help, I'm going mad!!!
> >
> > Ray
> > 59 TR3A BRG w/cww!
> > (luv this car!)

Ok how do I find British Frame and Engine? How much are the bushings? In case
I get to that point I'll need 'em in hand just in case. I still think it's
the shock, will try to get it checked today. What was the noise you were
experiencing? Was it very apparent or just slight? If in fact it's what you
say it is then everyone who's replaced their A-arm bushings would have the
same problem, n'est ce pas? (that's French BTW).
Also what does DPPO mean? (  _ _ previous owner)

Ray