RE: Hot restart???? [TR3a]

Subject: RE: Hot restart???? [TR3a]
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:00:40 -0700
Cc: "'[unknown]'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Pull choke out 1 notch,

This may indicate it's running pretty rich.

> pump the gas 5 times,

Uh, David, pumping the gas on these carbs does absolutely nothing except
wear the linkage and bushings out.  That's only for carbs that have
accelerator pumps.  You can hold the throttle open a bit to make it easier
to pull the choke, but that's about it.

> Too rich, hmmm, "FT" suggested I push the buttons on the side of the carbs
> to see if too rich/lean.  When pressed and held pressed, the rear
> carb makes
> the engine increase in rpm, the front carb as well but not much.  Is this
> the right way to test?

That's the right test, and it does indicate that both carbs are way rich,
especially the rear.  The buttons should only be pressed far enough to raise
the pistons a small amount (3/32" as I recall, but I don't have the book
handy), and the idle should momentarily rise then fall back to the same
speed.  If you lift the pistons further, the idle will continue to fall and
eventually become ragged when the mixture is properly set.

I think Dave M. is on the right track here.  If the problem was the battery
not being charged, you would notice the slow cranking before it got so low
it wouldn't start the engine.  And, it's unlikely it would start later
without having the battery charged.

Randall