RE: 74 TR6 Fuel Pump

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 74 TR6 Fuel Pump
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 20:24:13 -0700
> I have a substantial oil leak in the area of the fuel pump on my 74 TR6.
> Over one weeks time it drops about 1/4 of a quart on the floor.  A
> friend/American car mechanic diagnosed it over the phone as the diaphram
> leaking.  Another TR owner looked up under there and said he had
> had the same
> oil leak, and had to get some special gasket paper to stop it. If I could
> correct the problem by replacing the fuel pump I will do it right
> away, but
> it seems too easy.  Your thoughts are appreciated!

Tom :

The diaphragm can't leak oil, it can only leak gas.  The 'special gasket
paper' is available at any Pep Boys, Kragen, NAPA, etc., just ask for thin
gasket material.  The thickness is not especially critical, and IMO the
slightly thicker material they sell will seal better anyway.  While the pump
is off, check both surfaces for any burrs or warpage, and remove any traces
of old gasket.  A little dressing on the gasket wouldn't hurt either, I like
Hylomar for things like this.

I would suggest trying to find the leak for sure, first.  Clean and degrease
the area thoroughly, then run the engine just a bit and look for any traces
of oil.  Repeat as necessary.  I've even heard a suggestion of spraying foot
powder (the aerosol stuff that leaves behind a white powder) in the suspect
spots so any oil will show up clearly.  On my TR3A, the leak that I thought
was the pump, turned out to be the line to the oil pressure gage.

Randall