what head do I have?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: what head do I have?
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:06:00 EDT
I am on a continuing quest to figure out exactly what I have in my TR4. It
seems to be a Heinz's 57 variety. What I have found out so far is that I have
a TR4A engine, at least the block, a TR3B transmission, Lucas Sports coil
(old type), extractor exhaust manifold, HS6 carbs with the long neck exhaust
manifold and yes they rub on inner fender. It also has a long neck radiator
which had a crank hole in it until I had it recored. Now I am trying to
figure out what head I have. According to Roger Williams book "How to Restore
TR4 & TR4A," the TR4A head was put on the TR4 starting with CT21471. It has
the number 511695 cast into it. He claims it is the best of the TR4 heads. I
cannot find any numbers on the outside of the head but inside under the
rocker cover, it has the number 302137 and underneath, V2528. On the other
end it has J15. Does anyone know what head this is?

My next question is with the distributor. According to the book it should be
either a DM2P4 or 25D4. I can't find either number on it. What I do find is
on the top of the distributor by the vaccume advance is the number 250. On
the side is 40795A with 663 under it. Also according to Bentleys, there is
supposed to be a Vernier Scale by the vaccume advance. It's not on mine. It
does has the adjusting knob on it.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Peter Schoppelry
'63 TR4 (maybe)