whistling belt???

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: whistling belt???
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 22:38:16 -0400
[Once more he dips into the wellspring of knowledge...]

Something in my GT6 engine is whistling (or squealing) at a
particular narrow range of rpms, from maybe 2500 to 3000.  I would've
guessed it to be the fan belt.  In the past I've heard a similar
squeal in my Spitfire, and either it has dimished over the years or
I've grown used to it and no longer notice.  Coming home from work in
the GT6 today it seemed louder than it has in the recent past.  The
alternator is new so I doubt it is the alternator bearing.  Could it
be the waterpump?  I've been told that too tight a belt would burn
out the alternator bearing or the waterpump.  I would have thought
that a bad (or going so) bearing would squeal at all rmps, whereas a
belt would resonate differently at different speeks.  To my mind the
belt is looser than I would have thought appropriate for previous
cars.  Still, I'm wondering - should I loosen it further or tighten
it?  What causes such a noise?

Inquiring minds want to know.  Inquiring ears just want silence.  Old
cars want to run without breaking.

Tanks,
--
Jim Muller