TR3A Cold Start w/ether

To: "INTERNET:RayAntoky@aol.com" <RayAntoky@aol.com>
Subject: TR3A Cold Start w/ether
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:08:48 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:RayAntoky@aol.com
>My TR3A has trouble starting when it's in the garage after an overnite
rest
especially if the weather has turned cold. A shot of ether always brings it

to life and it starts right up. The choke seems to be working as a pull
increases the idle although for all I know it could need further tinkering.

It has new plugs, the Bosch resistor type, WR7BP. The fuel pump does not
have
the priming lever although I may have a used one lying around. I'm not
complaining about the running just yet. It will start sometimes without the

ether if I pump the gas pedal but it takes a while. Once it's been started
it
usually starts on the first push. Where do I go from here?
<

Ray, the operation of the choke mechanism is to first increase the idle
speed and then, only after further movement, enrich the mixture.  I think
you are in need of further choke knob movement to get the the enrichment
part.

It may be alarming how much force is necessary to pull the knob that far.
Try operating the linkage from under the hood and watch the levers and jets
and things and make sure it is free to move if you don't feel comfortable.

Good luck

Dave