RE: TR3A Cold Start w/ether

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A Cold Start w/ether
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 11:47:09 -0700
> My TR3A has trouble starting when it's in the garage after an
> overnite rest
> especially if the weather has turned cold. A shot of ether always
> brings it
> to life and it starts right up. The choke seems to be working as a pull
> increases the idle although for all I know it could need further
> tinkering.
> It has new plugs, the Bosch resistor type, WR7BP. The fuel pump
> does not have
> the priming lever although I may have a used one lying around. I'm not
> complaining about the running just yet. It will start sometimes
> without the
> ether if I pump the gas pedal but it takes a while. Once it's
> been started it
> usually starts on the first push. Where do I go from here?

Ray, sounds like a classic leak from the float bowls.  After you've got it
started, shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes, then reach under the
carbs and touch each of the bolts that hold the float bowls on.  My guess is
your finger will be wet with gas, indicating the need for new float bowl
seals.  My car has the exact same problem at the moment ... those seals
never seem to last more than a few years for me.

Randall