Re: One more fork question

Subject: Re: One more fork question
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 07:42:58 -0700
>Before this, the mention of a fork meant only eating, now my hole world
>has changed forever.
>Is it common practice to flatten new fork pins to conform with the TO
>bearing sleeve. The last pins I installed I left rounded and they
>flattened themselves. It doesn't appear to make much of a difference
>from a mechanical standpoint judging from the function.

If there are flat faces on the part of the fork pins which contacts
the sleeve, this is the result of wear and is source of lost motion
in the actuation of the clutch. New pins are round and should just
fit in the channel on the sleeve. I have seen the channel itself
become enlarged due to wear also. The question is, why did your pins
wear? The answer is that the sleeve is rotating while the clutch is
disengaged, and this probably means a seized TO bearing. The TO
bearing should rotate with the pressure plate while the clutch is
disengaged (foot on the pedal) and the sleeve should not. The TR6
clutch operating mechanism has little tolerance for lost motion. Flat
pins can make a big difference. Make sure you examine the channel
that fork pins ride in. If it shows signs of wear, the sleeve should
be replaced.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6