[TR250] mechanical advance

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR250] mechanical advance
From: David <dmb993@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 22:04:58 -0700
Something is puzzleing me about my distributor for my TR250. My car's been
off the road for almost a year due to a disintegrated cam shaft. In the
mean time
I've been rebuilding the engine and I sent my distributor to
TREnterprises to
have it recurved to fit my new camshaft. I'm running triple webers so I
lose the
vacuum retard. I'm feeling kinda silly over this but I can't see how the
mechanical
advance on the distributor works. From what I can tell, the rotor spins
counter-
clockwise, as viewed from above, and the mechanical advance rotates the
points plate in a counter-clockwise fashion also. To me, this looks like
the
mechanical mechanism actually retards the timing since it delays the opening
of the points relative to the position of the distributor. If someone
can fill me
in on this I'd very much appreciate it.

Feeling like a newbie,
TIA,