RE: [TR250] mechanical advance

To: "David" <dmb993@earthlink.net>, "TR250" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR250] mechanical advance
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 22:17:37 -0700
> From what I can tell, the rotor spins
> counter-
> clockwise, as viewed from above, and the mechanical advance rotates the
> points plate in a counter-clockwise fashion also. To me, this looks like
> the
> mechanical mechanism actually retards the timing since it delays
> the opening
> of the points relative to the position of the distributor. If someone
> can fill me
> in on this I'd very much appreciate it.

David :

Are you talking about the mechanical advance, or the vacuum advance ?

The mechanical advance does not move the point plate at all, instead it
moves the point cam relative to the distributor shaft.  Moving the cam
farther CCW in relation to the shaft makes the points open earlier,
advancing the timing.

Randall