Re: Marglass

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: Marglass
From: Joe Sholtes IV <joeiv@snet.net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:39:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
KHOCO@aol.com wrote:

>Listers,
>
>................Does anyone know what it is and where
>
>I can get it. TIA

Ken,

  I used to use Marglass at work, it is a "heavy duty" body filler.  All
body fillers
and fiberglass resin are essentially the same- in that they all use
polyester resin to
cure.  The primary difference between body fillers is the materials that
are used
to give the filler body.
 Marglass uses a stronger material in that is is made of ground
fiberglass powder.
Dynaglass (made by the same company- Marson- I think) has small fiberglass
strands for filler, and is stronger.  A product that was called "Kitty
Hair" (I forget
the company who manufactured that) had longer fiberglass strands in it
for body,
but as I recall, it was rather difficult to apply, due to its lack of
 pliability.  But
all three of these types are waterproof, which is important for rust repair.
  Bondo brand filler is  what is referred as  a lightweight filler. It
can retain and wick
water, due to its body material being porous. I prefer to use Fiberglass
Evercoat's
 brand "Chrome-a-lite" for my light weight filler needs.
 The way one uses the two types of body are as follows, heavy weight for the
initial fill, and most of the rough shaping with a cheese grater, and
rough sanding with
40 grit.  Then move to the light weight filler for final shaping.  Since
it is weaker, but
sands so much easier, it is usually saved for this step
 For most of the repairs that are important to me, (I really care about
appear-
ances) I use Fiberglass Evercoat's "Formula 27" for both repairs.,  It
is available at any
boating store (go to west marine, it's the cheapest).  I find it to be
good, strong, waterproof,
and relatively pinhole free filler, although it is a bear to sand- it is
very hard.
  Yes I am aware that I recommend Fiberglass Evercoat products, but that
is because
I think they are the best, not because I work for them.  I do wish I
could get a share
of my recommendations though.

  All the brands and styles of filler mentioned in this "Dissertation c
on Bondo" can be
found in any well stocked auto body supply store.

                                     Joe IV
                                     TR 250