RE: TR3A water pump noise

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A water pump noise
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 17:39:18 -0700
> Have a noise coming from the pump. It's the pulley somehow
> hitting the body
> of the pump. Most prominent at low idle. No overheating symptoms
> that I can
> see. Is the shaft bent? Must the pump be replaced? Can the pulley be
> retightened against the body?
> I have a spare pump w/o the pulley but with the grease fitting.
> Hopefully the
> old pulley can be fitted to this one.

Ray, as Bob already wrote, double check that it's actually the pulley
dragging on the body you hear.  If it was due to the shaft being bent, you
would also see a very noticeable vertical wobble as the pump turned.  If you
don't see the wobble, and the pulley is dragging on the pump, then likely
it's the pulley itself that is bad (or just possibly some casting flash on
the pump body).

> Is it a difficult job to
> replace the
> pump?

Hardest part is getting the fan belt off.  With it out of the way, undo the
three bolts (or two bolts and a nut) that hold the pump into the housing,
and lift the pump out.  Take the two bolts out first, as the third bolt or
nut sometimes requires the pump to move away from the housing slightly.

> What is the procedure that is most popular or easiest?
> Thanks for your
> help.. I hate looking in the shop manual..It's so lonely in there and too
> British if you get my drift!

The Haynes manual is a lot friendlier ...

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)