RE: TR6 Differential Woes

To: <bob@bob.mclaughlin.name>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Differential Woes
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:52:15 -0700
> I have a TR6 with catastrophic differential damage.
> The crown ring and pinion are both missing teeth.
>
> Any speculation on the cause of the damage?

In my case (TR3A) it was a delayed clutch release.  My launch technique at
the "Friday night drags" was to floor the gas about two beats before the
light turned, then release the clutch a beat later.  Somehow, I had pumped
the clutch up without realizing it, so the clutch engaged around 5000 rpm
instead of 3500 ...

> What else might
> need replacing?

I would definitely do the bearings, and inspect the "spider gear" teeth
carefully.

> The gears are in the catalog at 3.7:1 or 3.45:1.  What's the
> difference?  Why 2 ratio's?

The 3.45 gear set was standard equipment in the PI cars.  They let the
engine turn a little slower at any given road speed, at the expense of a
little acceleration coming off the line.

> I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has rebuilt, or
> tried to, a tr6 rear-end.  Any advice would be apprecieated.

Sorry, I just swapped it out for a used one, out of the TR4 I bought for
it's OD tranny.  There are a fair number of special tools required, and
shims to be swapped, etc.; you might want to send yours out to be rebuilt.

Randall