TR6 Differential Woes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Differential Woes
From: <bob@bob.mclaughlin.name>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 09:03:35 -0700
Has anyone replaced the Crown Ring and Pinion on a TR6
differential?

I have a TR6 with catastrophic differential damage.
The crown ring and pinion are both missing teeth.

I have opened the diff case and have confirmed the broken
teeth. Everything else seemed normal to the eye, plenty of
oil, etc. Pinion isn't loose, and spins normally till it
encounters the damaged areas.

Any speculation on the cause of the damage?  What else might
need replacing?

The diff mounts (always a weak point) are fine, and I have
replaced the 6 Universal Joints while the diff is out just
because it seemed like time to do it. None showed exessive
wear.

The gears are in the catalog at 3.7:1 or 3.45:1.  What's the
difference?  Why 2 ratio's?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has rebuilt, or
tried to, a tr6 rear-end.  Any advice would be apprecieated.

Bob