RE: TR3 10" Brake Shoes

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 10" Brake Shoes
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2002 11:47:28 -0700
> What is the wisdom of the list on this matter?  Has anyone had their brake
> shoes relined?

Dave :

Although my TR3A has 9" rear brakes (courtesy of a PO), I have had rear
brake shoes relined several times.  Got the ones for the Sports 6 relined
last year, I think the charge was under $40.  There's nothing magic about
Triumph brake shoes, I just have the local parts store send them out to be
relined without asking a lot of questions beyond "how much".  It does take a
few days, so I now keep a set of relined shoes in my garage, so I can put
them on the car and then have the ones that came off relined.

Used 10" shoes suitable for relining do pop up on eBay from time to time.  I
bought a pair of complete front spindles from a all drum TR2/3 last year,
just to get the 10" brake shoes and drums (which will fit the 10" rear
brakes on the early front disc TR3/A).  I'll use them as spares for the TR3
that's waiting patiently in Indiana for me to find time to start restoring
it.

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)