Re: [triumph_cars] OT:Yahoo changes, Spam, Pop-ups & Free Mother's day A

To: <triumph_cars@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [triumph_cars] OT:Yahoo changes, Spam, Pop-ups & Free Mother's day AT&T calling cards (LONG - agai n)
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 22:06:13 +0100
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Bob Webb wrote:
>> Okay well here is the next batch of crap from Yahoo. It seems that
>> the next step in the marketing campaign they are rolling out will
be
>> the use of "pop-up" and "pop-under" windows on yahoo in all of its
>> forms. This is still more bullshit from our friends at Yahoo.

Randall Young replied
>So, I would like to remind everyone that there is a better (IMNSHO)
Triumph
>mail list over at Team.Net.  Pure text so there's no chance of
getting an
>email virus, no advertisements ever.  The administrator does send out
very
>occasional requests for donations, perhaps once a year, but the
donations
>are purely voluntary.  The biggest disadvantage is that there are so
many
>Triumph enthusiasts on the list, it can be a lot of email to wade
through.
>There is a digest mode that alleviates this somewhat, by gathering
together
>roughly a whole day's posts into a single email.

I prefer the digest because I get too many single postings of
irrelevant junk from Yahoo as it is. But there's more to this as well.
I also support a standardised email list for all Triumphs though it's
clear the Triumph community in certain parts of the world is much
divided on this point because of the model splits. IMHO, there's far
too much parochialism when its clear from conversation with many
people face to face that they are interested in all models. Can it
really be that Triumph enthusiasts as a whole are so focussed on their
own preferred model that they're happy to ignore the rest? I hope not
but if this is the case, does it not fragment the 'community' and to
what purpose? I've been on digest mode for nearly two years and
greatly enjoy it - but I'd enjoy it one helluva lot more if all the
model groups could be seen to be coming closer together with MJB and
those on yahoo (possibly through ignorance rather than preference)
could finally kick yahoo into touch for all time. As one microscopic
unit within a global community, I have to say I find an unadulterated
diet of TR, TR and yet more TR to be somewhat limiting  on occasions.
While they may have been predominant sellers in one part of the world,
they aren't the be all and end all. There are still Front Wheel
drives, Dolomites, Barbs, Innsbrucks and Stags out there who hardly
seem to get a look in on triumphs@autox.team.net.
Is this because the majority of non-sports car enthusiasts on Yahoo
aren't aware it exists and if so, what are we on autox prepared to do
about it? If we could collectively work to bringing this more together
into one group, this global community would surely benefit? More
people in many more countries with more models, greater cyber
friendships and a rapidly increasing pool of resource and expertise.
After all, most of the cars were mostly made in one factory most of
the time - so what point is served by splitting them out into separate
model territories? From a technology angle, they all have substantial
similarities and no-one could claim that technology is rocket science,
so what's the big deal by remaining separate? I keep reminding myself
that as the vehicle parc and ownership progressively ages and further
diminishes, the time will eventually come when the single model or
model group clubs have to progressively merge. This has already
happened with long established clubs representing other older British
makes. Once they were large - now they are small. This comes about
from rust and death respectively - and its happening to Triumph as
well. A year ago, UK Triumph clubs collectively mustered a membership
of 35,000. Its dropped 3000 people in a year - and it'll go on
dropping. There's no reason in my mind why the cyber clubs supporting
Triumph shouldn't attempt to buck this trend - and set the example of
trying to bring it more back together on a global scale.

Jonmac