Re: Definitions

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Definitions
From: Will <tr6@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 12:56:27 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>If we go by styling
>alone, we might come up with post-1930 categories as follows:
>
>Pre-tail-fin (1930 to about 1952)
>Tail-fin (1952 to about 1964)
>Post-tail-fin (1964 to about 1982 - when was the Sierra introduced?)
>Jelly-mould (Ford Sierra to date)

I like this concept, can I suggest a post Jelly-mould category of Cute-retro?
This will cover the growing trend for cars with supposed character,
new beetle, mini, etc.

Seriously, the definition of Classic was never very rigid, unlike
Veteran or Vintage, after all the TR6 was being described as a
Classic whilst still in production. Perhaps we do need a new word and
could use as a cut-off point the moment when computer aided design,
the drive for aerodynamic perfection, and safety features resulted in
cars with little external individuality. (Or as you succinctly put
it: The Ford Sierra).

--
William Davies
1975 TR6 PI