Re: Definitions

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Definitions
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 23:39:01 +0100 g49Mi4P28965
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

> Vintage
> ^^^^^^^

Vintage has a rigid definition and is applied to cars built before 1930

 > Veteran
> ^^^^^^^

This is pre 1902 or thereabouts, but I believe the definition has just been
changed, at least as far as eligibility for the London to Brighton run is
concerned.

> Classic
> ^^^^^^^
A while back I got dragged into the rhetorical discussion about this on
uk.rec.cars.classic, where many people at that time were keen to bash the
Morris Marina. Getting sick of people who were happy to dismiss anything once
plentiful but not groundbreaking as completely worthless, I submitted the
following:
"Not having a copy of the OED to hand, I checked the dictionary.com website.
I like their noun definition number 4 which states "A typical or traditional
example. ""
Of course there are plenty of other definitions of the term, but this one fits
my vision of what classic cars mean to me.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics