Re: Definitions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Definitions
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 10:30:47 +0100
In article <20020510003627.70197.qmail@web12204.mail.yahoo.com>, Terry
Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com> writes
>Perhaps it's different in the UK. But Classic,
>Vintage, Antique are pretty nebulous adjectives at
>best. And often they are even used to describe the
>same vehicle.

One of these definitely has a fixed definition in English statute law -
"antique" is over 100 years old.

>For a bit of edification:
>According to Merriam-Webster, classic is usually a
>highly sought after, low production number or rare
>vehicle. Classics are bench marks, historically
>memorable or simply have notariety of being the
>epitome of that vehicle type for year, era, or company
>production. (Note that they don't have to be superior,
>outsell or particularly better than other cars).
>"classic" cars are obviously highly debatable amongst
>autophiles(my word for gearheads) due to the limitless
>categories for a car being notarietable (is that even
>a word?!).

Triumph is indubitably a classic marque.   The Acclaim was indubitably
notorious, (I think that's the word you were trying for with
"notarietable" <g>), for a number of reasons.   Is the Triumph Acclaim a
classic car?   I suppose so.   It is certainly a classic example of the
perils of badge-engineering. :-(

>A little test. One of these statements is
>grammatically incorrect:
>"I own a classic Porsche Speedster"
>"I own a vintage Ford Mustang"
>"I own an antique Corvette"
>
>Email me if you know the answer and why.

Well, under English law, the last is impossible - they weren't making
Corvettes in 1901...

ATB

--
Mike
Ellie - 1963 White Herald 1200 Convertible GA125624 CV