RE: Crank Q

To: John Gillis <jgillis@gemini.tcd.ie>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Crank Q
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 09:31:09 -0700
> At last I am about to begin the rebuild of my low port TR2 engine.
> Advice would have me believe that I must convert the rear crank seal
> to the later type, correct yes?.

John, opinions abound on this subject, mine is that it is by no means
required.  The original seal worked quite well, IMO the main reason they
have a bad reputation is because of older 'tired' engines (like mine) having
excess blowby.

> I talked to Moss U.K and they did
> not have any conversion kit on their catalogue, only the standard TR4
> item, this was no use at it gave me no instruction as to what
> diameter the rear of the crank should be taken to. Any advice on
> supplier, different versions of this kit, I seem to remember two
> different types and I also recall problems because of the wrong grind
> figures being supplied, all welcome on this one.

I can't really comment on the different versions, but the information I have
from Ken Gillanders at British Frame and Engine is that the scroll area
should be ground down to 2.500" or 63.5 mm.  Some vendors apparently rounded
the 63.5 mm figure to 63 mm, but Ken claims that 0.5mm is enough to make the
difference between leaking and not.

You can read more info from Ken at
www.linkline.com/personal/koblinger/trsc/tech%20articles/mainseal.htm

That link will probably get broken by the list server, so either cut and
paste the pieces back together, or go to
www.triumphssocal.org
and click on the 'Technical Articles' link on the right, then on 'Sealing
the Rear Main Seal'.

Randall