Re: Car shows- slight rant cn.com>

To: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car shows- slight rant cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 10:10:55 -0400 22, 2002) at 05/09/2002 10:10:57 AM, Serialize complete at 05/09/2002 10:10:57 AM
Overall, I agree with MPorter. I believe "Attitude" is a large part of the
equation.

There are those who collect wine to show (1959 Mouton Rothschild,
perhaps), and those who decidedly drink. I rather share a fine bottle with
company that appreciates the wine, discuss it's character and enjoy the
pleasure of it's consumption, than admire the label and watch the bottle's
price appreciate in value from $50 to $500 (I drank that bottle eight
years ago; it was about $325 at the time).

I just came back from a NJ show last weekend with third place, while the
first place winner had rust on his car -- but usually the local guy rules
over the out-of-towner (fact of life), so I wasn't surprised. I had low
expectation, and driving there was a large part of the fun (put on 300
miles). My local club arranged a caravan, and so the bunch of us put on a
parade across State lines.

I, personally, drive my car through the all types of weather and roads
(e.g., Dune Road, in New York's Hamptons is quite often flooded with sea
water), yet I strive to keep my car in top shape (no trailer queen
syndrome here). I spend all sorts of time polishing and restoring
everything, but within reason.  During the show, the person across from me
actually took out a handful of "Q-tips" and proceeded to clean around his
trunk trim seal. I chose to spend my time talking to others, enjoying the
sun, and looking at the cars.

I've often found, there is quite the snob appeal amongst some owners,
mostly the "queens" and self proclaimed elite (usually the more expensive
Marques, e.g., MB/Jags/A-H). For instance, I was admiring an original MGTD
and inquired as to "how did he kept his fuel and assort lines so
wonderfully polished and clean" (shinier than polished marine brass), and
he wouldn't even acknowledge I was talking to him! Obviously a problem
child. This is not always the case and rule - so don't flame me - just an
observation.

The key to British Car happiness.... Drive your car!