Re: turning the oil pump

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: turning the oil pump
From: PeterSchop@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 22:16:25 EDT
Cc: ryoung@navcomtech.com, dbh@hammond-engineering.com, CarlSereda@aol.com
In trying to turn the oil pump, I have now removed the dizzy pedestal and
made a duplicate or the distributor shaft. I bought a piece of 1/2" round
aluminum stock. It was .003" wider than the shaft I had to copy. I used my
belt sander to bring it down to size. I then cleaned it up with emery cloth,
cut a flat tip on the end to go in the slot in the oil pump then cut down the
other end to fit in my electric drill. I used a cordless drill with a weak
battery. It was probably turning at about 400 RPM. Since the oil pump is
turned by the camshaft which turns at half the speed of the crankshaft, I
must have had the pump turning at an equivalent of 800 RPM or an idle speed.
The oil pressure gauge read 40 PSI. Not bad.  After building up the oil
pressure, I hit the starter solenoid. The engine turns over good. Now I have
to put the spark plugs back in along with the distributor, water pump,
radiator and a few other parts.

Peter

dbh@hammond-engineering.com writes:

> The gear you are looking at is the distributor drive and oil pump drive; it
> is turned by the cam. This must be removed; twist and lift. The shaft you
> put in the drill to turn the oil pump should be a clone of the shaft you
> just removed. Engage the pump with the drill driven shaft and watch your oil
> pressure gauge. I spun it too fast once and pegged and damaged the pressure
> gauge.
>
> Dave in Medford

snip